My Church

The last few months have been nothing short of a whirlwind and yet at times they have dragged on more than I could imagine. Back in April I said that I was going to dust off my bike, running shoes, and gadgets and get training for Ironman 70.3 Maine. Well, I did just that.

In the middle of July I experienced some pretty monumental life changes. It's funny. When you go through a big change and you feel like your world has been momentarily turned upside down, you fall back on the things you know. And the thing I know, the thing that helps center me, the thing that reminds me how strong I am, is triathlon. So, I threw myself into training.



For a multitude of reasons, despite absolutely adoring Old Orchard Beach and the race, Maine didn't go as I had hoped or planned. But I knew I wasn't done with racing for the season and wanted another shot at the 70.3 distance. So I signed up for Ironman 70.3 North Carolina, just 10 days away now.

While I certainly have missed racing over the past few years, there's something that's even more special about the training. I'm starting to find that again.

There's something cathartic about putting in the word day in and day out. There's something confidence-building about turning box after box green. The "consistent hard work" (as my new coach and I have been repeating back and forth to one another) changes you. In the day to day, in and out of training I've found healing from the things that have broken me over the past year.

I was listening to some music as I was working this evening (please don't judge my terrible choice in music) and this song came on that says and talking about music said "I find my soul revival singing every single verse, Yeah I guess that's my church."  That's what training has been to me over the past few months, my soul revival. It's been the thing that has brought me back and helped me find my strength and healed me from the things I wasn't even sure I needed healing from. Its been the revival from a place of complacency to a place where I am comfortable again and has encouraged me to push my limits and set big goals. It's become my church.



I'm content right now having found this joy and healing in the daily grind of training. And I'm excited to go out and race again next week, seeing what type of day I can put together. But even more than that, I'm excited to continue to put in the work, set big goals and work hard to achieve them, and see where this journey takes me over the next year.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Patient. Be Brave.

Battling My Demons

Ironman Florida Race Report